2020 was a rough and unpredictable year for everyone. We lost many influential people such as John Lewis and Ruth Bader Ginsburg on top of a pandemic that changed everyone’s day-to-day lives. Everything we used to take for granted is no longer valid. We’re now checking for our wallet, keys, and mask before we leave the house, and socially distanced lunches have become the norm. Even through such difficult times there are thankfully, still some silver linings available. We all found new virtual ways to stay connected with each other and learned to work collaboratively in a remote workforce. With this, businesses around the world have accelerated digital transformation to evolve and survive in a changed world.
With these changes to how we work and business functions, in-person signing is not only extremely hard to manage but also risky. Forward-thinking companies need to start running their business contactless and paperless in order to stay efficient and just as productive. Seeing these unprecedented and pressing needs for eSignature in the last 12 months, our product team shipped many new features in order to keep up with the demand. These include HelloSign for Enterprise, our international launch, the new signing experience in Dropbox, and more. We also made notable improvements to our API that focus on two main areas: enhancing our API product and the Developer experience. Let’s dive deeper into the new features our team worked hard to launch in 2020 for HelloSign API.
In 2020, we invested in 3 key areas to improve our product including security and management, usability, and internationalization.
Security and Management
- HelloSign Embedded V2: We introduced a new version of HelloSign Embedded, which is more robust and developer friendly with modern web standards and APIs in mind. It allows developers to embed HelloSign onto their site intuitively, open multiple HelloSign Embedded frames at the same time, and troubleshoot and diagnose issues more easily. Learn more.
- SMS authentication: This new feature provides an additional layer of security by requiring signers to authenticate their account with a code that is sent to them via a text message. This is available for both embedded and non-embedded signing. Developers can pass an additional parameter, sms_phone_number, to enable the feature. Please note that this feature is not available in test_mode and requires a HelloSign API Platinum plan or higher.
- Bulk delete: This feature allows administrators to delete completed documents in bulk from their HelloSign account. This makes it simpler for customers to manage data retention and to centralize their documents in Dropbox or any data storage tool after they export these documents from HelloSign. Please note that this feature requires a HelloSign API Platinum plan or higher.
- Reporting: Last February, we launched HelloSign for Enterprise with more advanced reporting capabilities, including user activity and document status reports. Now developers can export the raw data with HelloSign API and feed it into their preferred reporting tools. View the documentation.
- New editor: We redesigned the UI of our editor to make the eSignature requesting process more intuitive. For developers using embedded requesting and embedded templates, your users now have access to the new UI editor.
- New guided eSignature requesting workflow: We introduced the new Prep and Send experience for customers using Embedded Requesting. All users now enjoy a guided, step-by-step experience to prepare a document for signature and send to signees. Try HelloSign Embedded Requesting.
- Local language support: The HelloSign embedded signing, requesting and template capabilities are now available in 21 additional languages. Developers can set up the locale parameter while calling the open() method for the HelloSign Embedded to load the iFrame in a specific language. View the documentation.
- Local data residency: In 2020, we introduced data residency options in Germany, Australia, Japan, Canada, and the UK. Now customers can choose to store their signed documents in one of their preferred locations. Please note that this feature requires a HelloSign API Platinum plan or higher.
As an API first company, HelloSign is committed to crafting the best developer experience and making eSignatures accessible to everyone. Our API has been rated the easiest to implement by G2, and we continue to invest in the developer experience by creating more technical content and keeping documentation up-to-date.
- Using HelloSign API callbacks: We recommend every HelloSign API integration to use callback to track the status of the signature request. Our API support team dives deep to explain what a callback is and why it’s important. Read the article to learn more.
- Embedded requesting workflows using the HelloSign and Dropbox APIs: Our developer evangelism team created a sample app for a user to select a file from his/her Dropbox account, preview it, prepare it, and send the file for signature without ever leaving the web page. The sample app is developed with the HelloSign and Dropbox APIs.
- Rate limits and best practices to avoid them: Last year, we updated our rate limit, our API support team goes into detail to explain what a rate limit is and how to avoid it.
- Tips on finding the best integration model: Each app is different with its own use case and one of the most common questions we get from developers is how to integrate with HelloSign API. This article provides details on all the integration models available today so you can find the right one for your app easily.
- SDK: HelloSign provides 6 SDKs for developers to try our API in their preferred language more easily. We recently updated our Node.JS SDKs to include the new features and plan to keep the other 5 SDKs up-to-date in 2021. Try our SDK.